Friday, December 19, 2008

Pecan Brittle



Yet another recipe obtained from the Guy family. They are dear friends from church. This pecan brittle is always expected to be a part of my annual "cookie exchange". Kenneth is always willing to send this in exchange for his bagged selection! This year the brittle got rave reviews and I was asked to post the recipe here. Before posting I decided to make sure my copy of the recipe would get the same results as Mr. Guy's. Sure enough! The brittle made it into the 21 tins I made for my husband's employees. I had some brittle remaining for teacher gifts. When I got ready to prepare the teacher's tins, I discovered that the brittle had been irresistible. The man of the house, ate all the remaining brittle! He said it was, "Too good!" If you make this, hope you have some self-restraint!

2 cup sugar
1/3 cup light carn syrup
1 cup butter
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla
5 cup pecans

Toast pecans in 200 oven until warm. Take out of oven and set aside. In large sauce pan, combine sugar & corn syrup. Boil to 310 degrees. (Use a candy thermometer.) Stir constantly. Add butter, stir constantly until in temperature returns to 290 degrees. Remove from heat. Stir in salt, soda and vanilla. The syrupy mixture becomes frothy when the salt and soda is added. Beat it well and quickly add toasted nuts. Continue to stir vigorously until all the nuts are well coated. Pour it out onto a DEMARLE silpat or onto a buttered cookie sheet. Allow to cool. Break into pieces for sharing.






No comments: