Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Chocolate Muffins/ Cake / Brownies...you decide!

So very thankful for Pinterest!  I have found such wonderful recipes there.

This one has rave reviews from the man clan, my nurse friends, church folks and the healthy friends at the Wellness Center.

I found this recipe posted as 
Triple Chocolate Chunk Vitatop Muffins that sell for $6/4.  
When I read the ingredient list...I was very skeptical....
no butter, no sugar, no white flour, no cream....

Chocolate....healthy....REALLY?!?!?

You must try this one!  The Pinterest link took me here.

This is my version...
1 3/4 cups of old fashioned oats
4 eggs
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/2 unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1-1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup hot water
1/4 cup stevia (the recipe also said that 1 cup granular Splenda could be used....
I say it is evil and bad for you...research its side-effects)  If you don't have stevia use 1 cup sugar
1/2 semi-sweet chocolate chips (also try white chocolate, mint or peanut butter chips)
1/2 chopped walnuts, pecans or almonds (optional)
I have revised the recipe to contain a bit more protein by using whole eggs rather than just egg whites.  Another way to increase the protein would be by adding nuts to the recipe.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Using Demarle there is no need to grease pans, but if you have traditional cookware get out your cupcake liners or non-stick spray, or grease and flour...prepare and set those pans aside.  This recipe makes 12 lg muffins, 2 cake layer, a sheet cake of brownies or
too many mini-muffins to count.

In a blender mix all the ingredients (except the choc chips).  Blend the mixture until the oats are ground and the batter is smooth.  Stir in chocolate chips.  When I make the cake layers, I sprinkle the chocolate chips in the bottom of the pan and pour batter over them.  When the layers are inverted out of the pan, it is topped with the chips...YUM!

THE MUFFINS BAKE IN 12-15 MINUTES.  I RECOMMEND BAKING THE CAKE FOR 20 THEN CHECK IT EVERY 5 MINUTES AFTER.  I LIKE TO ALLOW IT TO REMAIN A BIT FUDGE-LIKE IN THE CENTER!

This batter can be muffins
cake  
or brownies.  I use demarle flexible cookware...actually I am an avid collector of this fine professional cookware.  I started my collection about 10 years ago...as a skeptical friend willing to try something new, but not sure I should make a huge investment....
It was the beginning of a wonderful find, that has added indescribable ease to my pleasure of baking.  

If you know me....I share my Demarle...sent some home with a friend tonight who also took a copy of this recipe!  I consider myself blessed to have such an amazing collection I can use and share!

 

No comments: