Monday, February 15, 2010

Red Hots and Hoop Cheese

This man of mine has come a long way.  In the early years of our marriage, we ate not only the typical American diet, but also truly enjoyed the best of Southern love.  I had been told by my pastor's wife that a good wife cooks biscuits for her man.  You know...cooking to please the man of your dreams.  Biscuits and gravy...biscuits and sausage...biscuits with "yellow label" syrup...biscuits with hoop cheese and sausage... You get my point. 

Well, at some point during the changing seasons of life, midst the parenthood, weight gain, over-all fatigue, the desire to "feel" better, look better and well...just be healthy kicked in and with those desires went the biscuits...known to me as Southern love.

We have both benefited from the changes and hope that some of those changes have helped to shape long term health habits of our children.

Sunday breakfast (Valentine's day) in keeping with the theme of LOVE and RED....out came the Southern Love....Biscuits, Hoop Cheese and Red Hots (eggs and cheese grits too).  When it comes to diets....it is what you eat 90% of the time that makes a difference.  It is ok to enjoy these things on special occasions.  I try to remind myself that there are many other ways to share my "Southern Love"!!!!

1 comment:

Beth said...

Well, I sure do miss that "Southern Love" and the "Typical American Diet"...........Biscuits and Gravy, Biscuits and Sausage, Cheeeeeeeeese, or just plain Biscuits........I need to figure out how to make those with oat flour!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But I know that the best biscuits are made with that BAD BAD BAD White Wheat flour! I should have enjoyed "living in sin" more.....eating wise, that is. :-)I am afraid that those days (and biscuits, gravy, etc.) are gone forever. Well, do you think that we might have biscuits in Heaven?