Monday, January 11, 2010

Soup's ON....Sausage, Lentil and Kale soup

An unseasonably cold winter has me looking for soup, soup and more soup.

Warm and comforting....warms is what is sounding good to me!

My motto being, "Use what you have." Yet I am craving new flavors....so I start looking for new recipes. I want to combine what I have and infuse something new. Kale is the new part to this recipe. I had never eaten kale. Most often it is on deli trays as the garnish...it is edible, and now I know even delicious. Its texture differs from most greens. Most "southern" greens and even cooked spinach are just a little slick in texture. In my opinion, the kale does not have that texture tendency. The flavors of this soup combine were delicious. Initially, the sweet skeptical 3 year old in the house did not like the thought of trying this. Then I explained to my husband's amusement that it is the combination of the flavors that makes it yummy.... The child ate every last drop of soup in his bowl. That is what satisfies this mommy! I felt rather virtuous knowing that the man clan ate KALE!!!!

Serves 6
  • 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 8 ounces sweet Italian sausage, casings removed (I used low sodium turkey sausage)
  • 2 celery stalks (with leafy tops), thinly sliced
  • 1 medium yellow onion, diced medium
  • 1/2 cup dried lentils
  • 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth (home stewed chicken stock)
  • 1 bunch (about 1/2 pound) kale, preferably Tuscan, stems removed, torn into bite-size pieces
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 2 teaspoons red-wine vinegar

Directions

  1. In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat oil over medium-high. Add sausage and cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add celery and onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add lentils, broth, and 1/2 cup water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a rapid simmer, partially cover, and cook until lentils and vegetables are tender, 25 minutes.
  2. Add kale and season with salt. Return soup to a rapid simmer, cover, and cook until kale wilts, about 5 minutes. Remove soup from heat, stir in vinegar, and season with salt and pepper.
From Everyday Food, December 2009

No comments: