Wednesday, January 14, 2009

I may serve hot dogs...but I have killer hot dog chili!!!

This has been my "go to recipe" since I found it online in 2004. I was asked to take it to a graduation party. The source stated that it was the recipe from Aiken Pool Hall in Aiken, SC. Really, if you use this on your hot dog....there is no need for anything else. Since sometimes I don't know when to stop....I still add the slaw, and sweet relish...yep, I like sweet relish on my hot dog.

I have to admit, I don't approve of hot dogs on a regular basis. It's about the nitrites, or is it the nitrates.... We eat them so rarely around here, my man clan cheers when I put hot dogs in the grocery buggy! It is a little embarrassing in the grocery store. My disapproval for hot dogs is so well known, my husband once admitted that when working from home one day he ventured to the local hot dog shop and couldn't even enjoy the hot dog for looking over his shoulder...thinking I would see him there....Craziness!!!! It did him alot of good to get it off his chest!!! Confession is good for the soul!

I promise I am not the oppressive type, I promise!!! I blame this on one of my junior high through high school classmates. He ruined it for any of us girls ever liking hot dogs by sharing with us the makings thereof. Therefore, the man clan can just thank him for my "hang-up" regarding hot dogs!

All that being said, there are just sometimes that hot dogs are the menu item of choice. JOC my son 2 of 3, most always requests them for hot dogs for celebration meals!

Here's the recipe.

1 lb hamburger meat
4 medium onions, finely diced and chopped
4 TBS yellow mustard
3 tsp. sugar (optional)
2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
2 tsp chili powder
1 cup catsup
salt to taste

Break up the hamburger meat and put into a 4 quart pan. Add enough water to make a thick mix. Stir until smooth.

Add the remaining ingredients. Cook slowly for 1 hour. Can be thinned as needed with water.


Give it a try!

No comments: