Monday, September 15, 2008

Quiche Loraine

I served this at my latest Demarle demonstration. I have made versions of this twice since! Making it in the Demarle Tart Tray is the perfect size for putting on an english muffin! The recipe makes a full tray of 12 and still there is enough of the fixings to make a small quiche in the sunflower mold. Yet another option for cooking ahead and having a quick nutritious, high protein option for those busy school mornings! This recipe is found in my Down Home In High Style cookbook with artwork by Jack DeLoney. Thank you again, Mrs. Regina for that cookbook!

One thing I like about making quiche is that the recipe can be so versatile. Use what you have. I often substitute ham or sausage for the bacon. Cheddar or a mix of Mozzarella and Cheddar is most often what I have and use. Essentially, I use the recipe as a guide for quantities and proportions. In the second section of the recipe I have also substituted whole milk for the evaporated milk. 13 oz is 1 1/2 cup plus 2 TBS. At my January 2009 brunch presentation, I used chopped ham, shredded cheddar, and followed the remainder of the recipe.
Crustless Quiche Lorraine

10 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled (1 cup of meat)
1/2 of 3 oz can of fried onion, crumbled
1 cup of shredded Swiss cheese


Combine these ingredients and using a small scoop evenly proportion the mixture into the tartlet tray.

(I use the small Pampered Chef scoop)

4 eggs, beaten
13 oz can of evaporated milk
salt and pepper to taste
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper

Beat these ingredients together and pour from a liquid measuring cup into each tartlet.

Bake tartlets at 350 for 12-15 minutes. If baking in daisy mold, bake 20-25 minutes, or until egg is well set.


To make the Loaded English muffins:
  • Toast the English muffin.
  • Place a patty of cooked sausage on the English muffin.
  • Place the cooked tart sized egg on the muffin.
  • Lay a slice of American cheese over it all.
  • Top with other side of English muffin.
  • Set back under broiler until cheese is melted.
When I am making these for my husband or children as they are hurrying on their way....I have previously cooked the sausage and the egg so the only prep at the time of serving is the putting it together.

No comments: