Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Oatmeal Pancakes

Many years ago, I was well above my ideal weight. My Doctor ordered me to avoid processed food, including white flour. When one is initially handed a "diet" it can be such an emotional moment. The diet seems so restrictive.

These pancakes provided for us a healthy sweet breakfast treat. I suggest topping these with banana slices, sprinkles of cinnamon, and drizzled with warm honey. The children like these with real maple syrup. A simple, quick on-the-go option would be two of these with fruit-sweetened jam or jelly and/or peanut butter.

These are made from quick oats that I have ground into flour in my blender (a relic Vita Mix).
When I first started making these and my oatmeal waffles, I would just grind what I needed at the moment in a little ($10) food chopper. Now, I keep a whole large oatmeal canister full of oat flour.

I attribute using a lot of oatmeal in my diet to my weight loss. The complex carbohydrates keep one feeling full longer and also do not spike the blood sugar like white, refined, processed foods. I encourage you to try these. I will tell you before you make them. They are much more hearty than typical "American" pancakes; not at all like the "float away--light and fluffy biscuick type". These truly have substance.

Oatmeal Pancakes

1 cup oatmeal flour
1 TBS Baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 - 1 tsp cinnamon
1 egg
3/4 cup milk
2 TBS canola oil
See below for other variations.

Combine dry ingredients. Add the oil, milk and eggs. Beat until smooth. For thinner pancakes add 1-2 TBS more milk.

Heat griddle or skillet over medium heat or to 375. If necessary, use a little oil on skillet or griddle. (I usually do not since I use a nonstick griddle.)

For each pancake, pour about 1/4 cup batter onto griddle. Cook until puffed and dry around the edges. Turn and cook other sides until golden brown.

Sweet Potato Oatmeal Pancakes
1/2 cup pureed sweet potato (cook sweet potato in microwave for about 5-10 minutes)
1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice

No comments: