Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Orange-Cranberry Cake

With fall here upon us and an occasional touch of those cooler breezes, this recipe sounded wonderful! My EJC (DH)was working from home, the aroma of orange and cranberry worked its magic. It drew him and MLC into the kitchen. Before I knew it, 3 muffins were eaten! I love it when that happens!



(from Better Homes and Gardens September 2008 "Prize Tested Recipes
$200 winner Michelle Gauer, Spicer, MN")


2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (I used 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour and 1 cup oatmeal flour)
1 1/3 cups rolled oats (I used quick oats)
1 TBS baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup butter, softened (I used 1/2 cup butter, 1/4 cup canola oil)
1 cup sugar (I used 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 tsp stevia powder)
3 eggs
1 cup milk
2 cups fresh cranberries (I used frozen)
2 TBS sugar
2 tsp. finely shredded orange peel

Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. finely shredded orange peel
2-3 tsp. orange peel

Preheat oven 350. Grease and flour 10 in tube pan...or use Demarle bundt and 6 muffins on large perforated tray.


Combine dry ingredients (the first 5 ingredients).

Combine butter, sugar and eggs. Alternately add flour mixture and milk, beating on low speed after each addition until combined.

I chopped the frozen cranberries in a food processor then tossed them with 2 TBS sugar and orange peel. Fold fruit mixture into batter.

Spoon batter into prepared pan. The Demarle bundt pan is slightly smaller than the standard American bundt. I like it being smaller because I get 6 muffins and a cake from most recipes! No greasing and flouring pans. Place in oven and bake lg bundt for 50-60 min. Mine only baked for 30 minutes, because my pan is smaller. Remove from oven and glaze while it is still warm.

Make the glaze. Combine powdered sugar, peel and juice..adding more juice to get it to drizzling consistency. Drizzle the glaze over warm cake. Allow cake to cool and glaze to set.

No comments: