Saturday, January 10, 2009

Meatloaf...with great reviews!!!

This recipe is a keeper! I have been using this one for over 10 years. I found it online. The source said that it was Rosie's Diner's recipe. Not sure where Rosie's Diner is, but the folks that live near it are blessed to have such good cookin'. There is no better meatloaf than this. Until this meatloaf...there was no meatloaf that I ever craved. Set this on a plate with real mashed potatoes, kernel corn, and green beans...you will be set to scoot! That means you will have a happy table full of diners.......... I also use this recipe for making meatballs...my man clan loves it that way too.

2 pounds ground beef
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup chopped green pepper (optional...I never put them in)
2 TBS your favorite steak sauce
1 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. garlic powder

Sauce:
1/2 cup ketchup
3 TBS packed brown sugar
1 tsp ground mustard

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9 x 5 loaf pan. (I use Demarle pans...AKA molds) In a large bowl, combine the ground beef and beaten eggs. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well....that means take off your rings and mix it with your hands!!! Transfer to the loaf pan or form into a loaf shape and smooth the top. In a small bowl, wisk the ingredients for the sauce and spread it over the meat loaf before baking. Bake for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until the inside temperature reaches 160 degrees. Let the loaf sit for 10 minutes before slicing. Serves 6.

(Immediately when the meat loaf is taken out of the oven, it is a good time to pour off any excess hamburger grease. ) When hamburger meat is cheap, (i just found it for $1.29/lb) I make a triple batch and freeze 4 loaves and about 20 or more meatballs.

I am very picky about my meatloaf. I only want my version. I may be biased. I challenge you to try this one. You will like it!

No comments: