Monday, December 8, 2008

Birthday Supper...boy style


Yes, he is seven! The picture tells so much! He does most everything his own way! He has kept us laughing since before he was able to talk!

I hope I don't bore you with my boy mothering stories. I am convinced that mothering all boys takes a different kind of woman. For instance, the woman and homemaker in me would yearn to create the special production of a meal for a birthday supper.

My offer to my dear JOC was, " I will cook anything you would like. What will it be for your birthday supper?" His reply, "Hot Dogs and chips!!! So hot dogs he got and his special surprise...broiled oysters. I just don't picture dainty little girls getting excited over a birthday meal of hot dogs and broiled oysters.


Before any of you say, "Ewww, gross!" I don't eat them raw. I love sushi, but raw oysters I cannot do! (It is a texture thing.)This is how I prepared those oysters... I sauteed about 3 TBS of onion and 1 TBS of minced garlic in a bit of olive oil and butter. Then I added fresh oysters (about 2 1/2 dz drained of all the juice) to the sauteed onion and garlic. I heated the oysters through, being careful not to over cook them (they get tough). Then poured it all into a pyrex dish and generously topped them with Parmesean cheese. Place under the broiler until cheese is slightly browned! Place one oyster on a saltine cracker and top with cocktail sauce. Absolutely delicious!!!!!

The boys begged for more! I can really forsee this man clan and mom around the firepit grillin 20 lb of oysters in the near future! Mothering boys really isn't so bad!

No comments: